Substitute Decision Making Quiz

When is a substitute decision maker needed? 

How do you find the right substitute decision maker?

What if you can’t find a substitute decision maker?

Take the substitute decision making quiz to find out how well you understand substitute decision making in Ontario


Substitute Decision Making Quiz

1 / 10

1. Someone named in a Power of Attorney for Personal Care can appoint another person to make decisions for the resident.

2 / 10

2. If a resident has no higher ranked substitute decision makers, but one child is older than the other, the eldest child will be the substitute decision maker.

3 / 10

3. When equally ranked substitute decision makers disagree, the healthcare provider can go to the Public Guardian and Trustee for consent.

4 / 10

4. When making a treatment decision for a resident, a substitute decision maker must consider a resident's wishes before considering the resident's best interests.

5 / 10

5. A substitute decision maker can ask the Consent and Capacity Board for permission to depart from a resident's known wish.

6 / 10

6. A person is considered a resident's "spouse" only if that person is married to the resident.

7 / 10

7. Ontario's Health Care Consent Act includes principles that substitute decision makers are to follow when making treatment decisions for someone else.

8 / 10

8. If a resident never shared any wishes, a substitute decision maker can substitute their own wishes.

9 / 10

9. A resident's substitute decision maker can decide whether or not the resident is capable of making treatment decisions.

10 / 10

10. The Public Guardian and Trustee can make treatment decisions for a resident who has nobody else to act as their substitute decision maker only if prior arrangements have been made by the resident.

Your score is


Do you questions or suggestions about our quizzes? Please contact us at:

Please note: The information contained in these quizzes is not intended to be used as medical or legal advice.